September 15, 2011

MilkMade made what?

 I didn't like MilkMade's "Endless Summer" flavor so I asked for a 2nd opinion.   Guest post from Food Fan's favorite friend...

the best part were the cute magnets

"MilkMade is a company with an incredibly unique service:  if you subscribe, they will hand-deliver one pint of their home-made craft ice creams right to your door every month.  For ice cream connoisseurs, this is a remarkable gift.  As wonderfully creative, high quality, and consistently tasty B&J’s is, one often wants something new and delicious to try.  Something unique.  But something that’s not too far out of the way to obtain.  MilkMade definitely scratches that testbud itch.  Well, in theory--let me explain why. 

Enthusiastic as I was to try the new flavor, I cracked open the pint and dove right in without thinking:  my excitement overtook any rational interest in what I was about to consume.  However, that feeling lasted for about 3 seconds--that is, until what tasted like a lather of sour milk and wallpaint began to coat my tongue.  Disgusting.  Horrifyingly disgusting.  Without question, the most disgusting flavor I’ve ever tasted.  Had it gone bad?  Did something gross fall in the vat?  Am I going to get sick?  All of these questions ran through my mind--and I stopped after the first bite.  I didn’t just lose my appetite; I became a little concerned for my health--it didn’t taste right; it didn’t taste like ice cream. 

And then I looked at the flavor:  'Endless Summer.'  What’s in it? “Hibiscus, ginger, and citrus notes.  It’s tangy and sweet, silky and smooth”  Okay…  That sounds really nice; it also doesn’t sound like what I tasted. Chocolate, vinegar, and green peppers sounds closer to what I tasted.  Or maybe frozen hot & sour soup with strawberries.  Gross.  Thus quite apart from the fact that this stuff tasted inedible, the flavor really didn’t match Milkmade’s description forced me to leave it alone.  The pint ended up in the trash.

Now, I know this sounds a bit harsh--though I assure you, I am also trying to send a message.  I think MilkMade theoretically provides a wonderful service--one I absolutely would prefer to use again and again.  But the ice cream recipes and quality control need some serious work.  More often than not, their flavors have been disappointing--if not mediocre, and hardly appetizing.  I tend to finish the pint out of duty more than pleasure.  This one was exceptionally bad, but the phenomenon it represents is not atypical.  Now, I’m sure MilkMade uses high-quality ingredients, but unless MilkMade can achieve flavors at least at the level of Ben & Jerry’s--and beyond, ideally--then it doesn’t matter and there is no reason to use them.  Unless things change, I am not renewing my subscription; and I suspect I’m not the only one. 

So, Milkmade, if you’re listening, let me plead with you.  Please keep at it.  Keep improving your product.  Make it better.  Make it competitive.  Make it better than the rest.  Make it consistently so.  Make it creative.  Make it exceptional.  But make it exceptional tasty awesomeness.  And if you do, not only do I promise myself as one of your regulars, but I guarantee I will be only one among many."


Food Fan's comments:



Unfortunately, I completely agree with the above description of MilkMade's latest flavor.
And one of these days for historical amusement I'll re-post my reviews of their previous months' flavors.  Totally not worth $17 a pint!  

Yesterday was 84 degrees out and today was in the 40's.  I guess summer has ended.  But that won't stop me from eating ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment